| Session - 128th Maine Legislature
Resolve, Directing the Department of Transportation To Apply for Funds for Rail Improvements
Sec. 1. Department of Transportation to seek federal funds. Resolved: That the Department of Transportation, referred to in this resolve as "the department," shall pursue all federal funding that may be available to develop, improve and expand passenger rail service in the State, including:
1. Seeking grants provided by the United States Department of Transportation, Federal Railroad Administration, including:
2. Identifying the eligibility of possible passenger rail projects to receive grants provided by the United States Department of Transportation, Federal Transit Administration under the fixed guideway capital investment grant program under 49 United States Code, Section 5309 (2015); and
3. If the Federal Government amends or creates new grant programs for passenger rail, considering the eligibility of possible passenger rail projects under those amended or new grant programs; and be it further
Sec. 2. Report on passenger rail development. Resolved: That the department shall submit a report to the Joint Standing Committee on Transportation no later than December 1, 2017, describing the status of grants requested to that date pursuant to this resolve. The report required by this section must include but is not limited to:
1. Details of applications submitted for each grant program;
2. The amount of state funding required as a match for federal funds received or under consideration; and
3. Recommendations for how the State could be a more competitive applicant for any relevant grant programs.
This resolve directs the Department of Transportation to pursue various federal passenger rail grants and to report to the Joint Standing Committee on Transportation no later than December 1, 2017 on the details of the grant applications, the amount of state matching funds required and recommendations for how the State can be a more competitive applicant for federal passenger rail grants.
Top of Page