An Act To Ensure Continued Availability of High-speed Broadband Internet at Maine's Schools and Libraries
Sec. 1. 35-A MRSA §7104-B, sub-§2, as amended by PL 2011, c. 623, Pt. B, §20, is further amended to read:
Sec. 2. 35-A MRSA §7104-B, sub-§2-A, as enacted by PL 2011, c. 600, §6 and affected by §10, is amended to read:
Sec. 3. 35-A MRSA §7104-B, sub-§3, as amended by PL 2011, c. 623, Pt. B, §§21 to 23, is further amended to read:
(1) Residential and business telephone exchange lines, including private branch exchange lines and Centrex lines;
(2) Interconnected voice over Internet protocol service; and
(3) Providers of mobile telecommunications services that are not providers of prepaid wireless telecommunications service.
The surcharge established in this paragraph may not be levied on more than 25 lines or numbers per customer billing account;
Sec. 4. Report. The Department of Education and the Maine State Library shall jointly submit by January 15, 2018 to the Joint Standing Committee on Energy, Utilities and Technology a report containing the following:
1. A list of all recipients of money from the telecommunications education access fund established pursuant to the Maine Revised Statutes, Title 35-A, section 7104-B, referred to in this section as "the fund"; a description of the goods or services for which money from the fund was received, including the amount of money received by recipients for such goods or services; and whether the goods or services for which money from the fund was received were eligible for reimbursement through the federal E-rate program;
2. A description of the process used by recipients of money from the fund to select vendors for goods or services, including whether there was a competitive bidding process and, if so, whether the competitive bidding process included provisions for services that were compensated with money from a source other than the fund; and
3. A list of qualified schools and qualified libraries pursuant to Title 35-A, section 7104-B, subsection 2 and, with respect to each school or library location, the following information:
Sec. 5. Prepaid wireless telecommunications service fee. Notwithstanding the prohibition under the Maine Revised Statutes, Title 35-A, section 7104-B, subsection 2-A on the Public Utilities Commission's adjusting the prepaid wireless telecommunications service fee more than once every 24 months, the Public Utilities Commission shall adjust the prepaid wireless telecommunications service fee to conform to Title 35-A, section 7104-B, subsection 2-A, as amended by this Act.